Saturday, August 11, 2007

Where the hell do I live again?


So - after 6 months of living like a nomad - albeit of the 5 star hotel kind - I finally landed for real in New York last December. After spending a month living uptown on 50th & 8th in a company apartment, I finally obtained the nirvana that is my own apartment. After 6 months I can assure you I was cartwheeling down the corridor. Well, actually, mentally I was cartwheeling down the corridor. Trust me - in my place you don't have that much space for such physical exertions!

So - I figured that I would try to give y'all and understanding as to where it is that I actually live. I am way downtown - in fact you can only go abou 500 metres further downtown. The picture above shows the southern tip of Manhattan. The blue arrow is the World Trade Centre site, the yellow arrow is my apartment building. I am on the 9th floor out of 28 - with just on 500 apartments in the entire building. It is pretty handy to the office - I have to walk all of 100 metres from the front door of my building to the front door of the office. We also have 24 hour doormen, a valet and dry cleaning service and a massive gym. Which disturbingly enough I am starting to use.

It is amazing how quicky I have adapted to the NY way of life - tiny, tiny apartment with the ability to have anything delivered within about 5 minutes. Within a 200 metre radius of my place there are 4 bottle shops that deliver. Not to mention directly opposite my apartment is a deli that is open 24hours a day just in case you need to duck out at 3 in the morning and get some more milk!

Over the next couple of weeks I hope to be fairly active on here - trying to get a feel for what you can put on this thing and how - but hopefully I can give regular updates of the plain weird stuff you get to see in this city. What kind of weird? The other day I got on a subway train and there was a guy in a 3 piece business suit (delightful shirt and tie combination by the way) holding a leather attache case in one hand and a kayak paddle in the other hand. And that is probably one of the less surreal things that I have seen in the last few months.

Work is its usual hectic mess - am spending about 1 week a month up in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. A delightful little seaside town - just not NY - and lets face it, if you do have to live in America NY is the place to be! You get to blend in with the rest of the weirdos...

No comments: